From bench top science to research administrative leadership
January 17, 2019
- Importance of mentorship
- Connect with folks at seminars, start relationships
- Diversify your group of mentors
- Trustworthiness and proactivity
- Ask for more work
- Strong work ethic
- Ask questions
- Remain professional
- Balance workload by delegating when needed
- Get out of the lab
- Learn new skills
- Build a community of campus, pursue growth opportunities
- Be a lifelong learner
- Career counseling
- Training and free classes on campus
- You are smart enough!!
- Have confidence in your abilities!
- Your skills are specialized and valuable
- Problem solve
- Advocate for yourself
Questions to Reflect On:
- ID 2-3 professional successes you’ve had in your life
- What part did you play in those accomplishments?
- What are my assets?
- How did I gain these skills?
- What challenges have I faced?
- What did I learn?
- ID 2-3 false assumptions
- “I’m not smart enough”
- What are my passions? What sparks joy for me?
Generously compiled by Micah Dombroe